Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Warm weather is "just around the corner"

Flatirons Athletic Club, the year-round outdoor pool that I swim at, there is this stupid sign that says "Warm weather is just around the corner," but it has literally snowed 14 inches every Tuesday for the last month.  Tomorrow is Tuesday and it is the first time since March that there isnt a forecast of snow.  I'm not holding my breath though.

To make things worse, the pool heater has been "breaking" like 2x a week for the last month.  I say "breaking" because after about 2 weeks of this nonsense (showing up to the pool almost every other day and hearing that the water is 72) makes me think that the heater didnt just "break" again, in fact it has just been straight up "broken" for about the last 6 weeks and somebody keeps putting band aids on the heater.

The reason I am getting tired of this (apart from having to swim in my wetsuit 2-3times per week) is that there is this awful sign on the way out to the pool that says "warm weather is just around the corner."  If they had put it up last week that would be one thing, but its been there since February and I am about ready to burn it down.

I suppose one thing I cant complain about is that the snow melts in about 2 days and the weekends have been relatively beautiful.  Nice enough even to ride out through Estes Park CO with some friends each of the last two weekends.



My training has been going well, and now that summer is upon us, its only going to get better!  I took my environmental law final last Monday (it was nuts; I was at such an advantage having only to take one law class as compared to my law classmates; there is just so much information to know and read) but anyway, thats over, so I can subtract 6+ hrs a week of reading from my schedule. ALSO, I passed my comprehensive exam (whew) about 2 weeks ago; its a major milestone in the PhD which most students complete about 6months to a year before defending their PhD.  Now that exam was brutal.  Its a 30minute presentation on research to date (which went really well) but then 90 minutes of questions where you just get grilled by the committee.  Its something of a rite of passage and although I thought I was well-prepared, they sure made it tough.  I dont ever need to do that again.

So, now that those things are over, I am cruising into the summer.  All the undergrads are finishing finals and moving out; soon Boulder will be a nice quite town.  My next race is in 2x weeks; the KC5150 followed by the New Orleans 5150 and Dallas.  Its gonna get real, real soon.


In the mean time, I got some new music to keep me occupied.  Cant wait to start riding the dirt roads up in the mountains again!  I KNOW spring has to be "just around the corner."  I cant wait for the trees and plants to start blooming.

Rudy

No comments:

Post a Comment