Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Boulder Peakalicious

Well, the weather finally cooled off here in Boulder by virtue of about a weeks worth of torrential downpours.  After last week's blazing heat and fires, this week overcast with intermittent monsoons, which at least begot favorable sleeping conditions...

The Boulder Peak Triathlon was on Sunday; the hometown race which is always fun since you know the area and dont have to travel.  The Peak is a fairly old race and is well known for the bike course which heads uphill straight from the Boulder Reservoir and eventually up a 14% grade climb adding about 1300ft.  Though it was to rain all night and more on Sunday afternoon, I figured being in Colorado, the chance of rain in the morning was approximately equivalent to my chance of getting eaten by a shark during the swim.  I'm no actuary, but as they say on PTI, zero percent chance.



The Peak is also a historically tough race due to the competition.  Every pro triathlete in their brother lives either in Boulder or somewhere nearby, so the field is always stacked; this time being no different.  For spectator viewing pleasure, the pro waves start after the age group race, so I got to sleep in and get to the race in time for the 9:35 start.  I rolled in just in time to see my friend and CU tri teammate Drew Scott come haulin in off the bike en route to his overall elite division win.

The women's wave was off at 9:20 and the men were given a 15minute deficit.  There is always a $1000 bonus to the first pro to cross the line, but a 15 minute head start for the women is a tough gap to overcome.  The water was chilly but still 71 degrees (apparently) so wetsuits werent allowed.  I was happy actually because although a wetsuit would help me tremendously, I have mentally accepted the challenge of not having one.  The Boulder Res also accepted my challenge and I came out of the water 3min behind the fastest swimmers (Cameron Dye and some other dude with webbed feet).

Oh well, I could have expected that, although my swimming IS improving, I swear.  The bike is of course the highlight of the race, as I mentioned earlier, basically as soon as you leave transition it is uphill until you hit the top of Old Stage.  I felt pretty good and kept homestay-mate Tim Reed in my sight all the way up and through the backside of the course.

Coming off the bike I lost my left shoe dismounting  and had to run back and get it meanwhile dropping my bike on the pavement/looking like a goofball #graceful.  I was in 9th or so and felt great on the first lap of the run (3 laps of out and back, again for viewing pleasure).  On my second lap I caught Laura Bennet (ie. super badass olympian) who was on her third lap.  Coming to the turnaround I was trying to stay out of her way and not breathe too hard (haha, but how bad would it be if I tripped her up or something, I mean she is going to the olympics).  Anyway, I was trying to be nimble and on the 180 degree turnaround I just fell flat on my face.  My leg was bleeding and I felt like a total goof.  From there, my dignity and pace were on the fritz not to mention that the lack of oxygen up here was catching up with me.

Thanks Dave Sheanin for the pircure!


I finished 11th in the stacked pro field, but honestly, I think I had a pretty good race.  Ive never been able to go as fast at altitude, and rather than dying like usual, I thought I kept a steady tempo throughout.  Its a bit frustrating that I am not more sore today; I mean my lungs are wrecked, my chest feels like I just benched 40 reps of 250 (cough, since I can do that cough), but my muscles arent shredded so I feel like I didnt go hard enough.  Darn lack of oxygen.  Next up for me is Giant Eagle Triathlon in Columbus Ohio July 29th.  Im flying out with my CU teammate Dan Henry who lives there; and its at low altitude.  I'll be drowning in oxygen. Whoohoo.

Rudy



No comments:

Post a Comment