Monday, July 2, 2012

Fires and other hot things...


Its been a good hot week back in Boulder after the New Orleans 5150 last weekend and of course the fires up in the mountains are stealing the show.  Colorado Springs is probably the worst case with the fires threatening to take down the city, but there was also a fire right on top of the flatirons.  The first picture is from at night, the second is one of the B-52 bombers dropping red water on the backside of the mountain, and the third and 4th are just random pictures. 




Fortunately, the fire here only lasted a couple days before they got it under control--it was never very big, but since Boulder is right at the base of those mountains, it was very close.  Plus, it was so hot last week you were stuck between keeping the windows open for a draft and closing them to keep out the smoke.  I considered sleeping in my lab office on Wednesday night actually (since it has some killer AC). 

For some reason when it is this hot I tend to lose my appetite for super sweets like ice cream.  They just dont sit well when your house is 85 degrees and you are trying to go to sleep.  Its tragic because I do love ice cream but I havent had any since before New Orleans.  I'm not too concerned though.  History tells me that one day I will be back crushing half a container at a time again.

It did actually cool off some this past weekend, or it was overcast enough that it didnt get as brutally hot.  I had an awesome weekend of training with my bud David Bobka with a long ride on Saturday and a hard ride and track workout on Sunday.  Plus summer swimming is the best.  I have been swimming at the Boulder Reservoir every Thursday morning with my Vendetta wetsuit (this week I used the swimskin and got really cold actually (whoda thought in this heat)), the outdoor pools, and of course the legendary Jane Scott (swim coach).  One of these times I will make a post just about her awesomeness.

As a fun tidbit of the week, my roommates and I went out Friday night and were dancing at Absenth House when I met a girl I went to high school with.  What are the odds?  I didnt think I knew anyone else from Virginia who lived in Boulder.

This coming weekend is the Boulder Peak Triathlon!  It will be my 3rd pro race and likely the hardest in both the course (big hill, race at altitude), and the field (basically every pro in their brother lives here) but at least I dont have to go anywhere or do anything special.  I live here, so I can sleep in my own bed, watch my friends race, and then they can cheer for me not to get lapped by Tim O'Donnell.  My race prep (naturally) includes lots of Chobani Yogurt!  It sure is a perk to promote products you like!  Until next week-

Rudy

No comments:

Post a Comment