Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Helmet Camera Complete

After much thought, design failure, and a trip to the local hardware store, I was able to fabricate my very own helmet camera using my trusty flip video camera! Here are some pictures of it. My idea was to have it unobtrusively mounted on my helmet and during particularly exciting portions of long bike rides (not many) I could get some footage of the scenery flying by. (Plus I could get some footage around town without having to hold the camera in front of me the entire time.

At first I thought about mounting it on the top of my helmet like is done with the commercially available gopro camera (retails for $300) but I didnt want it to be too high on my head because of the glut of low clearance underpasses around here...I would hate to decapitate my helmet camera.

I also didnt want to restrict the sound quality by taping it on or using velcro (it will likely be terrible sound quality anyway). So, I bought a bolt for the cameras tripod holder port and some metal brackets so that the camera is largely unrestricted for use and filming.

Also note the wrist strap going through my helmet strap...in case of catastrophic failure of the helmet mount, the wrist strap should keep my flip video camera from plummeting to the pavement.

voilĂ !






No comments:

Post a Comment